Health & Safety Policy
The Health and Safety of your child is very important to me and I have therefore documented the following procedures that I have in place to support this.
- I do a quick risk assessment of my home every morning before the children arrive to ensure that it is a safe environment for minded children
- All plug sockets not in use have socket covers
- All equipment will be checked and cleaned regularly. All equipment is fitted with the correct safety harnesses to prevent accidents, for example highchair and pushchairs.
- Car seats are checked regularly to ensure they are correctly fitted. I will never use a second hand carseat, as I do not know its history.
- My car is regularly serviced and has a current MOT. I keep the safety locks on the back doors working. My car insurance is for Business use.
- I use safety equipment appropriate for the children in my care, ie stair gates, cupboard locks etc. These are checked regularly.
- I will keep my front door locked with the keys on a hook up high to prevent the children opening the door to strangers.
- I have procedures in place in the event of a fire
- I ensure that the children do not have access to any waste, the bins are emptied daily and any used nappies are double wrapped and placed in the outdoor rubbish bin.
- I do not permit smoking in my home
- I follow strict hygiene guidelines to prevent contamination
- I have strict Child protection guidelines in place
- Children must stay with me when we are away from the home. Younger childen will be strapped in a pushchair, older children will either be on a harness or wrist strap, or holding onto my hand/pushchair.
- I have emergency contact details with me at all times should I need to contact the parents.
- I will work with you to teach the children about safety issues like crossing the road and stranger danger.
- I will work with you to teach the children about making healthy food choices and physical exercise.
- Sleeping children will be regularly monitored and I use a baby monitor as well
- I discourage the children from keeping ‘secrets’
- I will restrain a child if they are putting themselves or others in danger, for example running into a road.
If you have any concerns regarding the health and safety of your child please discuss them with me.