I believe that children can learn a lot from having contact with animals. I have a ovable Golden Retriever dog called Bess who loves nothing better than to be cuddled.
Certain procedures must be followed to ensure the safety of the children.
- Children must wash their hands after any contact with animals and understand the reasons behind this.
- Children must be taught that not all animals are child friendly and that they should always check with the animal's owner before attempting to stroke, pat or handle them.
- I store food for the pets safely away from the children's reach
- I follow a high standard of hygiene, with careful thought given to the placing of the feeding and water bowls of pets.
- I ensure fresh clean water in water bowls.
- I check the garden every morning, as part of my risk assessment, before the children are permitted outside to play, to ensure that no animal has fouled it.
- I ensure that all pet vaccinations are up to date
- I make sure that all pets are treated for worms and fleas regularly
- All my pets will receive regular health checks
- Children will be constantly supervised with pets
- Caged animals will be kept clean and secure